Hair fall really sucks! The scary sight of hair fall stops us from brushing our hair when required. It is almost impossible not to stress-out, which in turn causes more hair loss. This vicious never ending cycle drives you to a doctor wherein your pocket is drained within minutes and with zero recoveries. There are multiple reasons for hair loss and they vary for each and every person. But the good news is that Ayurvedic remedies rescue you.
Why should you follow Ayurvedic remedies to tell a check to hair fall?
According to Ayurveda, our hair type is directly related to our body type. It is systematically classified into Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Generic hair care solutions can never treat the root cause of our hair fall. We should address the real problem which lies in our body. Pitta dosha which governs our metabolism and digestion is the main cause of hair loss. Stress, anxiety, bad eating habits, excessive consumption of tea, coffee, alcohol products, meat and spicy foods causes an imbalance in pitta.
Besides the above mentioned reasons, many reasons such as hormonal imbalances, stress, improper sleep, dandruff or fungal infections contribute to hair fall. Ayurveda addresses all core issues related to hair fall.
After extensive Ayurvedic research on hair growth, healthpress.co offers everyone a list of the x best Ayurvedic remedies you can try at your home to reverse hair fall.
1. Bhringraj-The King Of Hair Herbs
Scientific name – Eclipta Prostrata.
Bhringraj, a powerful herb, which is called the ‘king of hair’ is strong enough to reverse baldness and helps in preventing grey hair. This herb which is available both in powdered form and as oil can do wonders when applied to hair.
A wistful of Bhringraj leaves or 6 tbsp dried Bhringraj powder and water.
Time Required: 30minutes
1. Blend the leaves into a thick paste by adding 3tbspns of water. Bhringraj powder is the best alternative if you don’t find Bhringraj leaves.
2. Apply the paste to your scalp and hair and leave it in for 25-30 minutes.
3. Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
4. Follow this procedure thrice a week to promote hair growth.
For best results, replace your normal oil with Bhringraj oil. Make your own Bhringraj oil at home by following the below steps.
1. Dry 1 big bunch of Bhringraj leaves in the sun for a couple of days.
2. Transfer these dried leaves to a jar of coconut oil.
3. Leave the container out in the sun for another 2 days.
4. The oil color changes to light green, this is when you can take it out from the sun.
5. Massage this oil on the scalp and leave it overnight.
Benefits of this hair pack:
Bhringraj oil+ Bhringraj home made paste together can do wonders to your hair. Try this combo for best hair growth results.
Scientific name: Azadirachta indica
For years, Neem has been used as the perfect Ayurvedic solution for skin and hair. Using Neem regularly strengthens the hair roots and enhances the blood circulation to the scalp. Neem is rich in anti-fungal properties, hence it combats all hair issues such as dandruff, lice, dryness, and eczema and soothes the scalp.
Neem leaves: 1 cup (A wistful of fresh neem leaves or neem powder)
Luke warm water: As required
1. Grind the fresh neem leaves along with some luke warm water into a fine paste until you get a medium consistency.
Note: Grinding it coarsely will make it very difficult to rinse the hair and remove the remnants.
2. Now apply the paste right from the root of the hair to the tip of it including the scalp.
3. Wrap your hair in a towel and let the pack sit in your hair for 2-3 hours.
4. Use a mild shampoo and rinse off the mask thoroughly.
Note: If you don’t get neem leaves, you can go for neem leaf powder which is available in all the departmental stores.
Neem leaves: 1 cup
Water: 4 cups
1. Boil 1 cup of neem leaves in 4 cups of water for 15 minutes and then set it aside till it cools.
2. Once it cools, strain the liquid and collect the neem infused water in a dispenser pump and keep it aside.
3. Wash and condition your hair using the neem infused water as a final rinse.
4. Follow this process thrice a week.
Note: Do not rinse your hair any further.
For best results, use the neem mask(Procedure 1), shampoo your hair and then rinse the hair using the neem conditioner(Procedure 2).
Since neem is rich in anti-oxidants, this combo triggers hair growth and controls hair fall. It helps in taming your fizzy hair and repairing your split ends. Neem acts as best anti-lice medicine and it detoxifies the scalp by maintaining the ph of the scalp. This mask also helps in premature graying of hair.
3. Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
Scientific name: Phyllanthus emblica
Amla has all the vital vitamins and antioxidants that can keep your hair strong, healthy, glossy and free from grays. The surplus amount of Vitamin C in Amla helps in halting premature graying. Applying Amla oil to your hair helps your hair to reap its benefits. Regular intake of Amla juice acts as an effective treatment for purifying blood and treating indigestion.
Amla powder: 1 cup
Luke warm water: 1 cup
Shikakai powder: ½ cup
1. Take a mixing bowl, mix Amla powder and Shikakai powder along with one cup of luke warm water. Make sure there are no lumps, mash the lumps if you find any.
2. Let this mixture sit for 2 hours or leave it overnight if possible.
2. Section your hair and start applying this pack to your scalp and hair.
3. Leave this in for 30 minutes and then wash off your hair with a mild shampoo.
4. Repeat this pack thrice a week.
For best results use this pack along with home made Shikakai oil. Follow the below steps to make your own DIY Shikakai oil.
1. Add 2 tablespoons of Shikakai to 100ml of coconut oil.
2. Use the plastic bottle to store this mixture in a cool, dark place.
3. Let the mixture rest for at least 2 weeks so that the Shikakai powder completely pervades into the coconut oil.
4. Keep shaking the bottle every morning for better infusion.
5. Massage your scalp every night(or 2-3 times a week) with this oil.
Benefits of this hair pack:
Amla pack is highly effective for dry and dandruff affected hair. Amla hair pack+ Shikakai oil, when used together, serve as an excellent hair booster and you can see visible results within a month if used regularly. Also to your surprise, you will find no white hair!! (incase you have them)
4. Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
Scientific name: Trigonella foenum-graecum
Methi is the most common and widely used household herb. It not only serves as an excellent hair fall and dandruff remedy but also boosts the scalp health.
Methi seeds: 4 tbsp
Water: 8 tbsp
Note: This measurement is for medium hair. Based on the length of the hair the proportion of methi seed powder can be increased.
1.Roast methi seeds in a pan until it’s colour changes to light golden brown.
2. Now, cool them and blend them using a blender into a fine powder.
Note: You can make this in large quantities and store it in a glass jar for further use.
3. To this powder, add some water to make it into a thick paste.
4. As usual, apply this pack to your hair and let it sit in for 20 minutes.
5. Wash off this with a mild shampoo using luke warm water.
6. Apply this mask twice or thrice a week for good results.
Alternatively, you can soak methi seeds in water overnight and grind them into a thick paste using luke warm water the next morning. Apply this paste to your scalp and hair and leave it for 45 minutes and then use a mild shampoo to rinse off.
For double results use this mask along with DIY methi oil. Methi oil can be made in home easily by following the below steps.
1. Boil 50 grams of fenugreek seeds along with 100ml coconut oil until the seeds turn reddish.
2. Once the oil is cooled down, strain it to and remove the seeds.
3. Massage this oil onto the scalp every night.
4. Use a mild shampoo and rinse off your hair twice a week.
5. You can also use 2tbspn of this oil into the methi hair mask.
The lecithin in fenugreek will keep the hair hydrated. They also make the scalp more healthy and strengthen the roots of hair follicles. Besides promoting hair growth, you will have more bouncy and lustrous hair.
5. Ritha (Soap nuts) – Natural Shampoo
Ritha or soap nuts have been treated as a natural shampoo since centuries. It is also called Boondi kottai, kumkudukaya etc.., Regular usage of Ritha promotes hair growth and improves the texture and the volume of hair. Since it is very mild, regular usage of Ritha can never rob your natural oils.
Soap nuts: 1 cup
Water: 2 1/2 cups
1. Crush 1 cup of Soap nuts and soak them in 2 ½ cups of luke warm water. Leave it overnight.
2. In the morning, boil the entire mixture for about 15 minutes. (optional)
3. Strain the cooled solution and collect the liquid into a container.
4. Give first rinse to your hair with water, and then carefully pour half of the soap nut solution throughout your hair.
5. Massage your hair for 5 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
6. Repeat the same steps 4 and 5 with the remaining soap nut solution. Now you can see lather oozing out from your hair.
7. Repeat this once in 2 days to see the difference.
Replace your shampoo with this soap nut solution and follow the same procedure once in 2 days till a month to experience the amazing difference in your hair.
It acts as a hair promoter, natural hair cleanser and it also strengthens the hair follicles therby preventing hair fall.
An age old, grandmothers highly recommended herb is Shikakai for hair care. Shikakai which is also termed as ‘fruit for hair’ is termed as a natural shampoo alternative. Shikakai which is rich in anti-oxidants and vitamins like A, C, K, and D keeps our hair nourished. It’s fantastic hair cleansing properties detangles the hair, reduces dandruff and conditions hair to make it look luscious.
Shikakai powder: 6 tbsp
Water: 2 cups
1. Soak shikakai powder in luke warm water overnight.
2. Rinse your hair with water, later pour some solution throughout your hair.
3. Massage it for 5 minutes and repeat the same process for the rest of the solution.
4. When you start getting foam, you can give a final rinse with water.
Note: Want to make your own DIY Shikakai powder? Then follow the steps below:
1. Dry some shikakai pods in the sun for 7-8 days.
2. Grind them using a blender or send it to the mill for grinding.
For best results, you can completely replace your shampoo with this ‘Natural Shampoo’.
You can also replace your normal oil with shikakai oil. Below is the process to make shikakai oil.
1. Take 2 table spoons of shikakai powder to 100 ml of coconut oil.
2. Transfer this mixture to a jar and store the jar in a cool, dark place for about 15-20 days.
3.Now the oil is ready to use!!
Note: 1. If you don’t like shikakai powder with oil, you can strain the oil to remove the remnants and use it.
2. Shake well before every use.
3. Massaging the scalp with this oil twice a week (or daily) and shampooing with shikakai powder is highly effective to address all your hair issues.
This combo adds shine and softness to the hair, fights dandruff, prevents dry scalp, removes hair lice, gently detangles the hair, soothes the head and gives you a stronger and thicker hair. On the top of all this, it is very light on your pocket!! So don’t delay any more.
7. Aloe Vera
With its proven potent in Ayurveda, Aloe Vera can cure a lot of scalp issues. It contains proteolytic enzymes which help in repairing damaged cells and improving follicle health. This herb has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties that can shoo away scalp irritation and dandruff respectively.
Pure Aloe Vera gel: ½ cup
Coconut oil: 4 tbsp
Honey: 2 tbsp
1. Combine all the ingredients to a consistent mixture and apply this to your scalp.
2. Let this pack sit in your hair for 30 minutes.
3. Rinse off this pack using a mild shampoo with luke warm water.
For best results repeat the same process twice to thrice a week.
Nature’s soothing healer says,” The primary protein of hair called keratin consists of amino acids, oxygen, carbon, little amounts of hydrogen, nitrogen, and sulphur. Aloe vera is made up of a similar compound called keratin that rejuvenates the hair with its own nutrients, leaving the hair more bouncy.
Dealing with hair fall is not easy. But these Ayurvedic treatments come very handily. Restoring your hair to its former shape and glory can be achieved in no time with these packs. So follow one of these packs and let us know your experience in the comments section mentioned below.